At Cantilever, we all agree that…
- If someone sends me work, I don’t have to accept it as-is. I only accept work I am committed to fulfill. I can ask for different dates, adjust estimates, and decline to work on parts of tasks I can‘t or don‘t want to fulfill.
- If I accept a task, I am in charge of accomplishing it by the stated due date. Therefore I will seek to absorb it fully before accepting it, and plan the steps of it into my schedule. If other people are required in order for the task to be completed, I am accountable for ensuring that they have what they need, and figuring out plan B if they don’t pull through. I have the authority to make decisions around how we accomplish the “definition of done“, including who will help and in what capacity.
- I am in charge of asking for any help I need. It is not the team’s job to figure out if I need help.
- The moment a due date becomes unfeasible, I must act and create an alternate plan for the company.
- I am accountable first for my own work, but also the collective results we get as a company.
Everyone who works at Cantilever should read and accept these expectations. If you don’t accept any of these expectations, please talk to your manager.