When you get a new computer, it will need to be set up to work ideally in the Cantilever system.
Most of us use a Mac, and our software suite is tailored to the Mac. You are free to use a PC, just be mindful that some of the tools may not work as well for you.
Software to Install
- 1password. Follow instructions you received through email.
- Google Drive File Stream app, connected to your Cantilever email
- Harvest browser extension(s) or desktop app (Found in App Store)
- Zoom Desktop App and ideally Mobile App on iPhone or Android
For anyone touching any design work
For anyone touching any development work:
With those global tools in place, you should be able to install almost any Cantilever project according to the Dev Notes instructions, without trouble.
- Homebrew. Install this first, it makes installing everything else easier.
- Git. If you installed Xcode, you will have git automatically, but you may want a more recent version for some of the QOL updates they’ve added over the years.
- PHP. Your Mac will come with PHP but upgrading is often smart if the version is old. Generally the last stable version is fine. Use this guide. Note that you may need update your bash profile like so.
- Composer, installed globally. You should be able to type "composer install" rather than `php ./composer.phar`, for instance.
- RVM. Don’t bother installing any particular ruby ahead of time, the specific version you want is highly project-dependent.
- Vagrant and Homestead
- Vagrant manager (Free)
- Xcode (Free)
- Snagit (Purchase and get reimbursed) - Snapshot/Screenshot software
- Loom (Ask for an invite from your manager)
- Things (Purchase and get reimbursed) - Personal task management software (outside of Basecamp). Use with the GTD method.
- Sequel Pro
- iTerm (Purchase and get reimbursed. Works well with zsh)
- Tower (License in 1pass)
- Rested (Pay with team CC) or Postman - to help test API/URL Post/Get submissions
- Transmit (License in 1pass) - Our favorite File Transfer / FTP app
- VMWare Fusion (License in 1pass) - Virtualization software to run other OS's on your machine
You will need an SSH key in order to authenticate with Cantilever servers. Use this guide:
If you are migrating from an old machine, we highly suggest copying over your existing SSH key rather than setting up a new one. Use this guide:
If you generated a new key that is not on our various servers, the first step is to get it added to Forge. Speak to your manager about that. Then, you may need to get it added to individual projects which are not on forge. Speak to the relevant PM about that.