This document provides general guidance on how we work on business cards.
- For information on how to export proofs for review and final files for print, refer to the procedure Export Business Cards.
- For information on creating business cards for clients, refer to the procedure Create new Business cards from a Pre-Existing Template.
- For information on ordering Cantilever business cards, refer to the procedure Purchasing Business Cards for Cantilever Team Members. (Clients will probably have their own printers with whom to work.)
- You will use the Team Drives in Google Drives.
- Rina or JT will design the template and then pass it off to whoever is making the cards.
- The designer will provide the file or location of the file in Google Drive.
Using the Team Drive (Cloud)
- Access the file in Team Drives from the finder on your computer.
- A cloud icon means that the file is accessible only from the file, meaning that you must be connected to the internet to access it.
- A green circle with a check mark means that you can access the file even when not connected to the internet.
- To change the accessibility of the file
- right click the icon of the file
- Select Drive File Stream
- Select your preference
Export the Project
You can Export these by following this procedure:
Note: If the printer runs into any issues with your file, packaging the print will provide them with access to all of the necessary links as separate files.
- Open the FOR-PRINT PDF in Adobe InDesign.
- Under File select Package.
- Enter contact info:
- Name: Client_BusinessCards_front_FOR-PRINT_Lastname(-Firstname)
- Modes (Preview/Work) Hide or show the full preview mode/work mode by simply hitting W
- Guide Grid Hiding and showing guides is Command ' (the single quote mark)
- Reference Point The grid in the upper left corner marks the reference point for text boxes. A square selected in the bottom left (as below) means that the anchor point for all changes will start from the bottom left corner (meaning that a change in text box height will move the top of the box up or down while a change in the box width will effect the right side of the box moving left or right). If the top left box was selected instead, the bottom of the box would reflect hight changes while the right side of the box would still reflect width changes.
- Color Value Conversions Business card INDD files should be CMYK always. However, if the source file of a graphic is created in RBG, this will produce a warning before any conversion. If you run into this scenario, choose CMYK as the color values. (Saving in RBG will not be the end of the world, but printers love receiving files that are already in the right color space. Let's take that tiny step to make the printers happy.)